February 05, 2007

Light-Urple Rain

Admittedly I don't have much time for a long post right now. I have some homework due tomorrow that I have yet to begin...etc. etc. However, I feel I would be remiss if I didn't offer at least one comment on last night's "Super" Bowl. Now I could talk to you about the commercialization of the game and how much of a disgusting spectacle it has become. Or I could talk about how the game itself was fairly dull and the commercials were lacking. (After all, when a performance Prince is the highlight of the event, you know it's been a slow day.) And believe me I was happy to see the Colts win. TinRoof was happy. Tony Dungy was happy. And Peyton can finally tell Tom Brady to suck it. Or I could talk about how much fun it was to watch the game in HD (have I ever told ya'll that my TV is awesome?). But at the end of the day, this year's Super Bowl just served as further proof that baseball is better than football.

Let me be more specific. Colts players followed tradition by dousing a cooler of Gatorade on Tony Dungy to celebrate the win. Well perhaps I was the only one who noticed but... the freaking game wasn't over yet!! This kind of thing would never happen in baseball. In baseball, the game is not over until the last out has been called. It helps build what we like to call "tension". Even multiple-run leads that seem insurmountable can be... mounted. All you need is one out and a rally-cap. I've seen the Cardinals come back from as many as 8 runs in the bottom of the ninth before. And while I'm not saying football is never exciting and down to the wire (see the Colts' win over the Pats) it isn't even built to be so consistently.

Yikes. I gotta go.

2 comments:

The Bourbon Samurai said...

Yeah, I thought that was a little premature also.

Scott said...

i agree. Baseball is better than football. And i say this as the fan of a football team built to be a perennial contender while my baseball team is a perennial embarassment.