December 11, 2006

Ugh!

Winter unofficially arrived in Virginia last week (though seems to have departed again temporarily). And while I am sad to report that I have begun to feel more accustomed to the beautiful weather of VA - and thus, less acclimated to the cold than when I was in Chicago - I am even more sad upon realization that the arrival of winter also spells the arrival of one of my most hated fashion trends...Uggs.

Now, I do not have anything against fashion in general. True I find the clothing worn by models on the runway to be absurd. And I have yet to see any of those "fashions" debut on a person on the street. And perhaps I didn't find Zoolander funny (though I'm willing to give it another viewing). But I don't have a problem with people wanting to look nice. However there are at least two instances where I hate the trend so much... I... spit on them.

My first fashion hatred is those over sized sunglasses. It drives me nuts seeing these girls walk around pretending to be movie stars or something with obnoxiously large frames on their faces. Have they never looked in the mirror with those things on? They look ridiculous! I pretty much can't be friends with a girl if I know she wears those. Or at least, I can't take her serious while she's wearing them.

Second, and to the point of this post, I despise Uggs. To be more specific, I hate those tall boots that are really furry and that girls tuck their jeans into as though they were some snow bunny in Aspen. I don't know what it is really. They just look silly to me. And something about them seems so pretentious. Same with the face-glasses I guess. While we're on the subject... I also hate popped collars.

In closing, whether you think you can or you think you can't... you're right.

6 comments:

Hal said...

My most hated fashion trend? Pajamas at school.

Sorry ladies, you don't look cute, you look like hobos. Buy a pair of comfortable jeans and deal with it. Your professors (and TAs) will not take you seriously.

Anonymous said...

The Uggs are even worse when a girl is wearing a really short skirt -- which I don't mind so much by itself -- combined with furry boots that go up to her knees.

One is the denial of cold for the sake of fashion, the other is the acceptance of cold for the sake of looking stupid. It's a marriage of opposites and I wish it would stop!

Jared and Beth said...

Excellent point!
Her legs are freezing but at least her feet and shins are warm.

Anonymous said...

And it's a good thing all the girls in Hollywood are wearing them. Because it might drop below 70 degrees, and they would get hypothermia.

A. Kirchman said...

i wear big sunglasses.

Anonymous said...

So does Jared, Annie. I think I have a picture on my blog somewhere.....